Friday, October 1, 2010

Cleanse Our Hearts with Your Steadfast Love and Give Us the Joy of Your Salvation

The Daily Office is making its way through the Acts of the Apostles, and in today’s selection we discover that Paul was an educated man who was able to speak not only Hebrew but Greek as well. Today he tells the crowd read about his conversion:

Just as Paul was about to be brought into the barracks, he said to the tribune, “May I say something to you?” The tribune replied, “Do you know Greek? Then you are not the Egyptian who recently stirred up a revolt and led the four thousand assassins out into the wilderness?” Paul replied, “I am a Jew, from Tarsus in Cilicia, a citizen of an important city; I beg you, let me speak to the people.” When he had given him permission, Paul stood on the steps and motioned to the people for silence; and when there was a great hush, he addressed them in the Hebrew language, saying:

“Brothers and fathers, listen to the defense that I now make before you.” When they heard him addressing them in Hebrew, they became even more quiet. Then he said:

“I am a Jew, born in Tarsus in Cilicia, but brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, educated strictly according to our ancestral law, being zealous for God, just as all of you are today. I persecuted this Way up to the point of death by binding both men and women and putting them in prison, as the high priest and the whole council of elders can testify about me. From them I also received letters to the brothers in Damascus, and I went there in order to bind those who were there and to bring them back to Jerusalem for punishment.”

“While I was on my way and approaching Damascus, about noon a great light from heaven suddenly shone about me. I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?’ I answered, ‘Who are you, Lord?’ Then he said to me, ‘I am Jesus of Nazareth whom you are persecuting.’ Now those who were with me saw the light but did not hear the voice of the one who was speaking to me. I asked, ‘What am I to do, Lord?’ The Lord said to me, ‘Get up and go to Damascus; there you will be told everything that has been assigned to you to do.’ Since I could not see because of the brightness of that light, those who were with me took my hand and led me to Damascus.”

“A certain Ananias, who was a devout man according to the law and well spoken of by all the Jews living there, came to me; and standing beside me, he said, ‘Brother Saul, regain your sight!’ In that very hour I regained my sight and saw him. Then he said, ‘The God of our ancestors has chosen you to know his will, to see the Righteous One and to hear his own voice; for you will be his witness to all the world of what you have seen and heard. And now why do you delay? Get up, be baptized, and have your sins washed away, calling on his name.’” (Acts 21:37-22:16).


Paul had done many things in his quest to stop the Way, the Christian movement. By his own admission, he was responsible for placing men and women in prison to be punished, and sending people to their deaths all because they were followers of Christ. Paul’s actions were very serious and caused harm to many people. He separated families and friends and brought destruction to people’s lives. Nevertheless, Paul is forgiven by Jesus and is given a new name and new birth. The former Saul becomes Paul, and the very movement that he persecuted with zeal has accepted him into their midst and cared for him. And so, Paul begins a new life. No doubt Paul continued to fall from time to time, but he never returned to his old ways.

There is a little Paul in each of us. Everyone one of us has fallen short of what God calls us to do. In a word, we have all sinned. I doubt that we went to the lengths that Paul did by imprisoning people and having them put to death, but we have done our share to hurt ourselves and others. But Jesus stands there ever ready to forgive us and to embrace us with his loving arms, arms that were stretched out on a cross, and Christ gives us new life.

Let us pray: Lord Christ, sometimes, like Paul, we cause pain and suffering to those around us. We know that we from time to time we fall short of Your will for us. Forgive us, we pray, cleanse our hearts with Your steadfast love and give us the joy of Your salvation. Amen.

CALENDAR REMINDERS:

Second Annual St. Augustine Art Show. This year’s theme is “Spirit”.

2 October 2010, the St. Augustine Fish Fry. The big day is here! Come join us for good food and fellowship. Tickets are $7 per plate.

9 October 2010 at 10:00 a.m.: The Blessing of the Animals on the Church lawn. Bring your dogs, cats, birds, ferrets, pot belly pigs and pets of all kind to be blessed.

PLEASE REMEMBER EVERYONE ON OUR PRAYER LIST, especially those serving in the Armed Forces at home or abroad, the chronically ill, people undergoing special medical concerns, those who care for the elderly, those who are traveling, and those who have no one to pray for them.

Your servant in Christ,

Fr. Chester J. Makowski+
St. Augustine of Hippo Episcopal Church
Galveston, Texas 77550

No comments:

Post a Comment