Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday

Today is the day that God showed us how much He loved the world. Today the Son of God was rejected by man who shouted “crucify him.” Today the Word who became flesh was nailed to the hard wood of the cross. Today Emmanuel gave His life, forgiving those who took His, so that you and I would be reconciled to God, to each other and even with ourselves. Today is Good Friday.

The Gospel reading for today’s Daily Office tells us about Simon Peter. He was always quick to tell Jesus how much Jesus meant to him. Simon Peter was a big talker, but when the time came, Simon Peter betrayed Jesus:

Simon Peter said to him, ‘Lord, where are you going?’ Jesus answered, ‘Where I am going, you cannot follow me now; but you will follow afterwards.’ Peter said to him, ‘Lord, why can I not follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.’ Jesus answered, ‘Will you lay down your life for me? Very truly, I tell you, before the cock crows, you will have denied me three times. (Jn. 13: 36-38).

Are you and I any different than Simon Peter? I don’t think so. How often do we talk big about being Jesus’ followers, but when the time comes to do more than talk, we deny even knowing Jesus by our actions? Through our sinful acts, you and I are no different from the crowd which called for Jesus to be crucified.

Let us pray: Almighty God, we pray you graciously to behold this your family, for whom our Lord Jesus Christ was willing to be betrayed, and given into the hands of sinners, and to suffer death upon the cross; who now lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Your servant in Christ,

Fr. Chester J. Makowski+
St. Augustine of Hippo Episcopal Church
Galveston, Texas 77550

No comments:

Post a Comment