Friday, August 19, 2011

Pain is temporary. Our salvation is eternal.

The economies of Europe are in sharp decline. The U.S. stock market is on a roller coaster ride. There are riots in England. There is famine and war in various parts of Africa. There are bombings in parts of the Middle East. There are drug murders in Mexico.

During these turbulent times, Psalm 140, which is one of the appointed Psalms for today, is indeed appropriate:

Deliver me, O Lord, from evildoers;
protect me from those who are violent,
who plan evil things in their minds
and stir up wars continually.
They make their tongue sharp as a snake’s,
and under their lips is the venom of vipers.
Guard me, O Lord, from the hands of the wicked;
protect me from the violent
who have planned my downfall.
The arrogant have hidden a trap for me,
and with cords they have spread a net;
along the road they have set snares for me.
I say to the Lord, ‘You are my God;
give ear, O Lord, to the voice of my supplications.’
O Lord, my Lord, my strong deliverer,
you have covered my head in the day of battle.
Do not grant, O Lord, the desires of the wicked;
do not further their evil plot.
Those who surround me lift up their heads;
let the mischief of their lips overwhelm them!
Let burning coals fall on them!
Let them be flung into pits, no more to rise!
Do not let the slanderer be established in the land;
let evil speedily hunt down the violent!
I know that the Lord maintains the cause of the needy,
and executes justice for the poor.
Surely the righteous shall give thanks to your name;
the upright shall live in your presence.

Pain is temporary. Our salvation is eternal. During these turbulent times, we must keep in mind that Jesus already has the victory. He is risen! Even in the midst of tribulations, you and I should give thanks to God.

Let us pray: O God, you have bound us together in a common life. Help us, in the midst of our struggles for justice and truth, to confront one another without hatred or bitterness, and to work together with mutual forbearance and respect; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

CALENDAR REMINDERS

BISHOP’S COMMITTEE MEETING: this Sunday.

ST. AUGUSTINE’S FEAST DAY: Potluck Dinner and Dancing on Saturday, 27 August at 7 p.m. and Eucharist Rite II on Sunday at 9 a.m. followed by a reception in Sutton Hall. We will also bless backpacks at the end of the service as our students start another school year. There is a sign-up sheet in Sutton Hall for the pot luck dinner. Please sign up to bring a dish to share.

PRAYER MINISTRY

Please remember everyone on our Prayer List, and we especially pray for those addicted to drugs and/or alcohol, shut-ins, anyone suffering from depression of anxiety of any kind, those suffering from the extreme heat, all of those who are traveling, those suffering any kind of adversity, for families, and for all those looking for work. "If I fail to spend two hours in prayer each morning, the devil gets the victory through the day. I have so much business I cannot get on without spending three hours daily in prayer.” Martin Luther

Your servant in Christ,

Fr. Chester J. Makowski+
St. Augustine of Hippo Episcopal Church
Galveston, Texas 77550

No comments:

Post a Comment