Monday, December 12, 2011

Consider the Poor

In this Monday of the third week of Advent, one of the appointed Psalms for the Daily Office is the 41st Psalm where the Psalmist prays:

Happy are those who consider the poor;
the Lord delivers them in the day of trouble.
The Lord protects them and keeps them alive;
they are called happy in the land.
You do not give them up to the will of their enemies.
The Lord sustains them on their sickbed;
in their illness you heal all their infirmities.
As for me, I said, ‘O Lord, be gracious to me;
heal me, for I have sinned against you.’
My enemies wonder in malice
when I will die, and my name perish.
And when they come to see me, they utter empty words,
while their hearts gather mischief;
when they go out, they tell it abroad.
All who hate me whisper together about me;
they imagine the worst for me.
They think that a deadly thing has fastened on me,
that I will not rise again from where I lie.
Even my bosom friend in whom I trusted,
who ate of my bread, has lifted the heel against me.
But you, O Lord, be gracious to me,
and raise me up, that I may repay them.
By this I know that you are pleased with me;
because my enemy has not triumphed over me.
But you have upheld me because of my integrity,
and set me in your presence for ever.
Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,
from everlasting to everlasting.Amen and Amen.

In this time of waiting, waiting for the Lord to come, we hear how God is concerned for the poor and the sick, for those who are unable to care for themselves. Amidst the noise and distractions of the world during this season, commercials of music boxes playing a tune and then cars with red bows being given as Christmas gifts, the maniacal lady shopping, stop and focus on what God is concerned with, consider the poor, those who are infirmed and fragile.

Let us pray: Stir up your power, O Lord, and with great might come among us; and, because we are sorely hindered by our sins, let your bountiful grace and mercy speedily help and deliver us; through Jesus Christ our Lord, to whom, with you and the Holy Spirit, be honor and glory, now and for ever. Amen.

CALENDAR REMINDERS

The Advent Series (Hope, Peace, Joy and Love) continues every Sunday after the service.

Please remember everyone on our Prayer List, especially Katie, Roylene, Robert, the unemployed, the poor, the weary, the depressed, the lonely, and those who have no one to pray for them.

“All our life is like a day of celebration for us; we are convinced, in fact, that God is always everywhere. We work while singing, we sail while reciting hymns, we accomplish all other occupations of life while praying.” —Clement of Alexandria

Your servant in Christ,

Fr. Chester J. Makowski+
St. Augustine of Hippo Episcopal Church
Galveston, Texas 77550

No comments:

Post a Comment