Thursday, June 21, 2012

"Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven"

Today’s Gospel reading picks up where we left off yesterday:

‘Take care that you do not despise one of these little ones; for, I tell you, in heaven their angels continually see the face of my Father in heaven. What do you think? If a shepherd has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray,does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go in search of the one that went astray? And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine that never went astray. So it is not the will of your Father in heaven that one of these little ones should be lost.

‘If another member of the church sins against you, go and point out the fault when the two of you are alone. If the member listens to you, you have regained that one. But if you are not listened to, take one or two others along with you, so that every word may be confirmed by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If the member refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if the offender refuses to listen even to the church, let such a one be to you as a Gentile and a tax-collector. Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. Again, truly I tell you, if two of you agree on earth about anything you ask, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.’ (Mt. 18: 11-20)

Holding a grudge is not healthy.  Refusing to forgive someone takes its toll on the person who won’t forgive. Jesus tells us to be up front with each other.  If you have a problem with someone, be gentle about it, but go talk to them about it. If they don’t respond, bring a few others with you from the Church to visit with them.  Jesus makes it clear,each of us has a tremendous power: “whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”  Exercise it well, and lean toward forgiveness—that’swhat God would have us do.

Let us pray:  Have mercy on me, O God, according to your loving-kindness; in your great compassion blot out my offenses. Wash me through and through from my wickedness, and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions only too well, and my sin is ever before me.  Holy God, Holy and Mighty, Holy Immortal One,have mercy upon us.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED WITH THE FOOD TODAY AT OUR SENIORS DAY!  I stopped by and visited our guests who visit us on the third Thursday of each month.  What a wonderful, friendly and social group of people.  Thank you to Michelle Walker who spear heads this ministry which is such a gift to so many.

CALENDAR REMINDERS

SAFEGUARDING GOD’S CHILDREN:Saturday at 10:00 a.m. at Sutton Hall.

SUMMER ART PROGRAM: Please pickup a flier and registration sheet in the narthex of the Church.

PLEASE REMEMBER EVERYONE ON OUR PRAYER LIST, especially Donna Greene (Carol Hogan’s cousin) who is fighting cancer.

Your servant in Christ,

Fr. Chester J. Makowski+
St. Augustine of Hippo Episcopal Church
Galveston, Texas77550

No comments:

Post a Comment