Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Are You Christ Centered?

In today’s Gospel, Matthew recounts Jesus’ words about the final judgment, about sheep and goats, those on his right and those on his left:

‘When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. Then the king will say to those at his right hand, “Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.” Then the righteous will answer him, “Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?” And the king will answer them, “Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.” Then he will say to those at his left hand, “You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.” Then they also will answer, “Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?” Then he will answer them, “Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.” And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.’  (Matt. 25: 31-46).

Notice that it is Jesus who is the King, Judge, and the Shepherd.  Here is the criteria of judgment: “I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me. … Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these, you did it to me.”   Seeing Jesus Christ in the other person; seeing Jesus Christ in those who are suffering and in need, and treating them as Jesus Christ himself, that is the criteria for the final judgment.  There are so many around the world and in our immediate communities who are suffering and in need.  There are serious problems around the world and in our back yards.  We cannot afford to get caught up in “petty problems”— in your heart you know what they are in the face of the serious problems that surround us.  Getting caught up in pettiness makes a mockery of serious suffering, and neglecting serious suffering is to neglect Christ himself.  To be centered on petty concerns, usually focused in on ourselves, is a dead end.  On the other hand, to be centered on Christ is to be centered on others, and life affirming.

Let us pray:  O God, the creator and preserver of all mankind, we humbly beseech thee for all sorts and conditions of men; that thou wouldest be pleased to make thy ways known unto them, thy saving health unto all nations. More especially we pray for thy holy Church universal; that it may be so guided and governed by thy good Spirit, that all who profess and call themselves Christians may be led into the way of truth, and hold the faith in unity of spirit, in the bond of peace, and in righteousness of life. Finally, we commend to thy fatherly goodness all those who are in any ways afflicted or distressed, in mind, body, or estate; especially those who are suffering from religious persecution because of their faith in Christ, the poor, the ill, those who live alone, the unemployed, that it may please thee to comfort and relieve them according to their several necessities, giving them patience under their sufferings, and a happy issue out of all their afflictions. And this we beg for Jesus Christ’s sake. Amen.

RONALD McDONALD HOUSE IN GALVESTON IS IN NEED—Their pantry is running low.  Here is a list of items you can bring to Church so that we can help those in need:   

         Boxes of Macaroni & Cheese

         Tuna

         Ramen noodles

         Milk

         Slice bread

         Rice

         Mayonnaise/Salad dressing

         Hot dogs

         Tomatoes, Onions

         Jalapenos

         Cookies or cake

         Any fruit or fruit cups (luxury)

CALENDAR REMINDERS

This Thursday at 11:00 a.m. we welcome Seniors Citizens from all around the Island to Sutton Hall. We will be serving a picnic lunch to our monthly guests. 

Saturday at10:00 a.m.: Summer Art Camp continues at St. Augustine’s. 

Please remember everyone on our Prayer List, especially Joanie, Dina, Dwayne, Wanda, and all of those who are traveling.

“By everything true, everything holy, you are your brother’s keeper.” —Seventh Earl of Shaftesbury (1801-1885)

Your servant in Christ,

Fr. Chester J. Makowski+
St. Augustine of Hippo Episcopal Church
Galveston, Texas 77550

No comments:

Post a Comment