Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Free Gift

One of the appointed Psalms for today is Psalm 119 where the Psalmist writes:
 
Oh, how I love your law!
   It is my meditation all day long.
Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies,
   for it is always with me.
I have more understanding than all my teachers,
   for your decrees are my meditation.
I understand more than the aged,
   for I keep your precepts.
I hold back my feet from every evil way,
   in order to keep your word.
I do not turn away from your ordinances,
   for you have taught me.
How sweet are your words to my taste,
   sweeter than honey to my mouth!
Through your precepts I get understanding;
   therefore I hate every false way.
Your word is a lamp to my feet
   and a light to my path.
I have sworn an oath and confirmed it,
   to observe your righteous ordinances.
I am severely afflicted;
   give me life, O Lord, according to your word.
Accept my offerings of praise, O Lord,
   and teach me your ordinances.
I hold my life in my hand continually,
   but I do not forget your law.
The wicked have laid a snare for me,
   but I do not stray from your precepts.
Your decrees are my heritage for ever;
   they are the joy of my heart.
I incline my heart to perform your statutes
   for ever, to the end.
I hate the double-minded,
   but I love your law.
You are my hiding-place and my shield;
  I hope in your word.
Go away from me, you evildoers,
   that I may keep the commandments of my God.
Uphold me according to your promise, that I may live,
   and let me not be put to shame in my hope.
Hold me up, that I may be safe
   and have regard for your statutes continually.
You spurn all who go astray from your statutes;
   for their cunning is in vain.
All the wicked of the earth you count as dross;
   therefore I love your decrees.
My flesh trembles for fear of you,
   and I am afraid of your judgments. (Ps. 119: 97-120).

The law of the Lord; it is something that we love, yet something that we find difficult to keep.   Try as we might, we can never be totally faithful to the law of the Lord. We will always fall short.  Yet God in His infinite love redeems us, and He frees us from the law.  That is what we call grace, a free gift from God. 

Let us pray:  Almighty and merciful God, it is only by your gift that your faithful people offer you true and laudable service: Grant that we may run without stumbling to obtain your heavenly promises; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

CALENDAR REMINDERS

The 10 large (about 20 pound) turkeys from St. Augustine landed at St. Vincent’s House Monday morning for the Thanksgiving celebration for the clients of St. Vincent’s House.  Please remember to bring food to St. Vincent’s House for the Holiday Season.

We will celebrate Thanksgiving Day as a community of faith on Sunday, 25 November after the 9:00 a.m. Eucharist where Fr. Kern Huff will concelebrate. Please sign up to bring a side dish or dessert.

On Sunday, 25 November, we will celebrate the Feast of Christ the King.

We will begin a new Adult Christian Education series on the first Sunday of Advent. Please join Jillian Bain for the study.

Please remember everyone on our Prayer List, especially Betty Robinson who fell while she was working with the Altar Guild this last Friday, Michael Lombard who is suffering from an inoperable brain tumor, and for his father, Joe and for Carol Hogan. 

Your servant in Christ,

Fr. Chester J. Makowski+
St. Augustine of Hippo Episcopal Church
Galveston, Texas 77550

No comments:

Post a Comment