Thursday, January 3, 2013

Jesus Is the Good Shepherd

In this first week of the New Year, we hear from the Gospel according to John; we pick up where we left off yesterday and today we hear the discourse regarding the Good Shepherd:

So again Jesus said to them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep.  All who came before me are thieves and bandits; but the sheep did not listen to them.  I am the gate. Whoever enters by me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.

‘I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away—and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep.  I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. (Jn. 10: 7-17).

Jesus lays down his life for us, and not only for us, but for all people.  Jesus says that he does that to give us life and that we may have it abundantly.  Sometimes it is difficult for us to accept that Jesus comes for those that we may consider to be outside the fold.  But that is exactly what Jesus came to do.  He came to restore all people to God, not just those that are like you and me, but everyone who hears his voice. 

Let us pray:  O God, whose Son Jesus is the good shepherd of your people; Grant that when we hear his voice we may know him who calls us each by name, and follow where he leads; who, with you and the Holy Spirit, lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

CALENDAR REMINDERS

Annual Parish Meeting: On Sunday , 6 January 2013 at 11:00 a.m. we will have our annual parish meeting where we will elect new members to the Bishop’s Committee, a delegate to the 164thDiocesan Council, have various reports and plan for 2013.

Seaside Seniors: Thursday, 17 January 2013 in Sutton Hall.

Please remember everyone on our prayer list, especially, the family of Robert Hacker, the family of Larry Wagstaff, Lee Runion, Gladys, Pat, all of the newly ordained priests, and everyone who is alone at the start of the New Year.

Your servant in Christ,
 
The Rev. Chester J. Makowski+
St. Augustine of Hippo Episcopal Church
Galveston, Texas 77550

 

No comments:

Post a Comment