Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Bread of Life

The Gospel appointed for the Daily Prayer of the Church is taken from John and it is the Eucharistic discourse:
 
The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, ‘How can this man give us his flesh to eat?’ So Jesus said to them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live for ever.’ He said these things while he was teaching in the synagogue at Capernaum. (Jn. 6:52-59).
 
Chapter 6 of the Gospel according to John starts with the feeding of the 5000.  It then moves into a discussion of the feeding of the Exodus and God’s providing the people with manna in the desert to sustain them.  Then Jesus tells them that he is the bread of life and that he will give his flesh for the life of the world.  Jesus did just that on the cross; he gave his flesh for the life of the world.  In the Eucharistic feast, we gather as the Body of Christ, the Church, and are truly made the body of Christ when we received the flesh and blood of Jesus in Holy Communion where we become one body in Him.
 
We also remember today the Rev. Jody Tomberlin whose memorial service was held today at 11 a.m. at Grace.  I was unable to be there; however, at the very hour that God’s people we gathered in Galveston, I participated in the Eucharist at Trinity on Wall Street in New York City remembering the Body of Christ gathered at Grace to celebrate her life and ministry.  God transcends time and space!  Let us pray: Lord Jesus Christ, we commend to you our sister Jody, who was reborn by water and the Spirit in Holy Baptism. Grant that her death may recall to us your victory over death, and be an occasion for us to renew our trust in your Father's love. Give us, we pray, the faith to follow where you have led the way; and where you live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit, to the ages of ages. Amen.
 
Your servant,
 
The Rev. Chester J. Makowski+
St. Augustine of Hippo Episcopal Church
Galveston, Texas 77550

No comments:

Post a Comment