Monday, April 28, 2014

Compline: "I will both lie down and sleep in peace; for you alone, O Lord, make me lie down in safety."

One of the appointed Psalms for today is Psalm 4 where the Psalmist prays:
 
Answer me when I call, O God of my right!
   You gave me room when I was in distress.
   Be gracious to me, and hear my prayer.
How long, you people, shall my honor suffer shame?
   How long will you love vain words, and seek after lies?
But know that the Lord has set apart the faithful for himself;
   the Lord hears when I call to him.
When you are disturbed, do not sin;
   ponder it on your beds, and be silent.
Offer right sacrifices,
   and put your trust in the Lord.
There are many who say, ‘O that we might see some good!
   Let the light of your face shine on us, O Lord!’
You have put gladness in my heart
   more than when their grain and wine abound.
I will both lie down and sleep in peace;
   for you alone, O Lord, make me lie down in safety.
 
I flew out of Houston Saturday night and arrived in London Sunday afternoon. Yesterday evening I went to Southwark Cathedral for compline. I was met at the door by the Cathedral’s mouser, Doorkins Magnificat who walked me down the aisle to my seat. The word “compline” comes from the Latin word “completorium” meaning the completion of the working day. It is the last prayer service in the Church’s day. 
 
Today’s Psalm reminds me of the compline service.  At the end of our day, we come before God in thanksgiving for the day that has gone by and as we prepare to lie down and rest for the next day.  The Psalmist prays: “I will both lie down and sleep in peace; for you alone, O Lord, make me lie down in safety.”  We begin our day coming before God and we end our day in the same way. 
 
Let us pray:  Gracious God, in you we live, move and have our being.  Out of love, you have created all that is.  We respond to you by coming before you in prayer.  We thank you for the start of the day which reminds us of the new life we have in Christ.  We thank you at the end of the day when we are reminded that one day our own lives will come to an end where we will look forward to our own resurrection.  Amen.
 
REMEMBER: The big BBQ is this Saturday!  We still have lots of work to do before the big event.  Please invite all of your friends and family to the event.  We will have the best BBQ around with Neil “Bigmista” Strawder and friends!
 
Your servant in Christ,
 
Fr. Chester J. Makowski, Vicar
St. Augustine of Hippo Episcopal Church
Galveston, Texas 77550

No comments:

Post a Comment