Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The immediate question for us as the Church is what does Jesus call us to do in these circumstan​ces, right now, where we are?

The appointed Gospel reading for the Daily Prayer of the Church is taken from the Gospel according to St. Matthew. Given the situation that is currently occurring in Texas and across the U.S. border with Mexico, we have witnessed an influx of unaccompanied children entering the U.S. illegally believing that they will find relief because of the Dream Act. Today’s Gospel gives us something to ponder:
 
‘When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. Then the king will say to those at his right hand, “Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.” Then the righteous will answer him, “Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?” And the king will answer them, “Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.” Then he will say to those at his left hand, “You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.” Then they also will answer, “Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?” Then he will answer them, “Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.” And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.’  (Mt. 25:31-46).
 
For us as people of faith, the immediate question is not what should the U.S. Government do to secure the borders (that is a public policy issue for our elected officials and for all of us individuals who vote), or what is the press in foreign countries saying that is encouraging these unaccompanied children to travel 1500 miles to come to the U.S (that is a matter we have no control over).
 
Rather, the immediate question for us as people of faith, as the Church, is what does Jesus Christ call us to do in these circumstances, right now, where we are? 
 
The Gospel speaks for itself: “for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me. … Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.”  Enough said.
 
Let us pray:  Direct us, O Lord, in all our doings with thy most gracious favor, and further us with thy continual help; that in all our works begun, continued, and ended in thee, we may glorify thy holy Name, and finally, by thy mercy, obtain everlasting life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
 
CALENDAR REMINDERS
 
Seaside Seniors, Thursday, 17 July at 11 A.M.  The theme is Independence Day!
 
The Art of Listening: Summer Art Program, starts Monday, 21 July at 10 A.M. every day of the week until 1 P.M.
 
In view of the current happenings in the Middle East and in Africa, as part of our Adult Christian Education, we will read Focus on Islam to better understand Islam and to do a comparison and contrast with our Christian faith.  We have the books, so if you are interested, please check with Fr. Chester for a copy of the book so that you can start reading it.
 
Please remember everyone on our Prayer List.
 
Your servant in Christ,
 
Fr. Chester J. Makowski, Vicar
St. Augustine of Hippo Episcopal Church
Galveston, Texas 77550

No comments:

Post a Comment