Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Light of the World

Image result for jesus light of the world

The appointed Gospel for the Church’s Daily Prayer continues in John:

 

Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, ‘I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.’ Then the Pharisees said to him, ‘You are testifying on your own behalf; your testimony is not valid.’ Jesus answered, ‘Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid because I know where I have come from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. You judge by human standards; I judge no one. Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is valid; for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father who sent me. In your law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is valid. I testify on my own behalf, and the Father who sent me testifies on my behalf.’ Then they said to him, ‘Where is your Father?’ Jesus answered, ‘You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also.’ He spoke these words while he was teaching in the treasury of the temple, but no one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come. (Jn. 8:12-20).

 

How many times have you heard someone say that these are “dark days”?  If we are walking in darkness, we need the light.  Jesus tells us today that he is the light of the world.  If we walk with the light of Jesus, no matter how dark things may seem, we will always be walking in the light of life.

 

Let us pray:  Almighty God, you have poured upon us the light of your incarnate Word: Grant that this light, enkindled in our hearts, may shine forth in our lives; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

 

CALENDAR REMINDERS

 

Wednesday, 11 March at 6 PM, the Rule of Life, starting with Stations of the Cross, Eucharist and a light meal with a presentation by KariAnn Lessner the new Families and Youth minister at Christ Church Cathedral.  For our St. Augustine family, please remember to bring a soup or salad to share,

 

Seaside Seniors on Thursday, 19 March at 11AM.

 

Please remember everyone on our Prayer List.

 

Your servant in Christ,

 

Fr. Chester J. Makowski+

St. Augustine of Hippo Episcopal Church

Galveston, Texas 77550

 

No comments:

Post a Comment