Friday, June 18, 2010

Juneteenth

One of the Psalms appointed for today is Psalm 91:

You who live in the shelter of the Most High,
who abide in the shadow of the Almighty,
will say to the Lord, ‘My refuge and my fortress;
my God, in whom I trust.’
For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler
and from the deadly pestilence;
he will cover you with his pinions,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.
You will not fear the terror of the night,
or the arrow that flies by day,
or the pestilence that stalks in darkness,
or the destruction that wastes at noonday.
A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
You will only look with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.
Because you have made the Lord your refuge,
the Most High your dwelling-place,
no evil shall befall you,
no scourge come near your tent.
For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways.
On their hands they will bear you up,
so that you will not dash your foot against a stone.
You will tread on the lion and the adder,
the young lion and the serpent you will trample under foot.
Those who love me, I will deliver;
I will protect those who know my name.
When they call to me, I will answer them;
I will be with them in trouble,
I will rescue them and honor them.
With long life I will satisfy them,
and show them my salvation.

Tomorrow is known as Juneteenth Day in Texas. On 19 June 1865, 1865, Union soldiers, led by Major General Gordon Granger, landed at Galveston with news that the war had ended and that the enslaved were now free. This was two and a half years after President Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation which had become official 1 January1863.

I wonder if those living in Galveston, during those troubled times, had the words of Psalm 91 on their lips. I wonder what the celebration was like, if only in their hearts, after they received the news. I imagine there were prayers offered in thanksgiving to God who stood by them in the most difficult of times, and who showed them salvation and freed them from their oppressors.

PLEASE REMEMBER EVERYONE ON OUR PRAYER LIST, especially Sue and Sean Coleman who are preparing for a serious medical operation at the end of the month for Sue.

THIS SUNDAY IS FATHER’S DAY, please remember those who have been fathers to you.

2 BAPTISMS THIS SUNDAY: We will have 2 baptisms this Sunday. The Rev. Dr. Ron Pogue will be our celebrant and preacher and he will baptize twins. The parents are friends of his son.

ADULT CHRISTIAN FORMATION: In honor of Father’s Day, and because many people will want to celebrate Father’s Day, we will not be holding the class this Sunday, or the 2 following Sundays after that as Mary and I will be away. Adult Christian Education will resume on Sunday, 11 July 2010 with Heaven and Hell: Angels With Harps, Demons With Pitchforks Or Maybe Something Else?

Your servant in Christ,

Fr. Chester J. Makowski+
St. Augustine of Hippo Episcopal Church
Galveston, Texas 77550

No comments:

Post a Comment