Monday, June 7, 2010

Preaching in the Midst of Pain

The Daily Office readings continue with Paul’s Letter to the Galatians. He writes about his physical infirmity:

You know that it was because of a physical infirmity that I first announced the gospel to you; though my condition put you to the test, you did not scorn or despise me, but welcomed me as an angel of God, as Christ Jesus. What has become of the goodwill you felt? For I testify that, had it been possible, you would have torn out your eyes and given them to me. Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? They make much of you, but for no good purpose; they want to exclude you, so that you may make much of them. It is good to be made much of for a good purpose at all times, and not only when I am present with you. My little children, for whom I am again in the pain of childbirth until Christ is formed in you, I wish I were present with you now and could change my tone, for I am perplexed about you. (Gal. 4: 13-20).

There has been much speculation regarding what Paul’s ailment was. Some say it was related to his eyesight (“had it been possible, you would have torn out your eyes and given them to me”), others advance different hypothesis. Suffice it to say, he was suffering, but even in his suffering, Paul persevered in preaching the Good News of Jesus Christ, and even used it as a vehicle to preach.

In this letter, Paul reminds the Galatians that the Gentiles are saved as well as those Jews who accepted Christ as the Messiah, and that people only become right with God and achieve salvation and the forgiveness of their sins by faith in Jesus Christ who died on the cross and rose for them. He reminds them, and us, that we do not achieve our own salvation by doing good works. Rather, because Jesus has redeemed us, out of love we do what Christ would have us do, that being to love God, neighbor and self.

PLEASE REMEMBER EVERYONE ON OUR PRAYER LIST. In your daily prayers, please remember everyone on our prayer list and also remember Sherman Boyer, Carol Hogan, Hanna Clanton who is considering ordained ministry, and all of the visitors who came to Eucharist yesterday.

GOSPEL BY THE SEA: 12 June 2010

ADULT CHRISTIAN FORMATION: Every Sunday in the nave at 11:00 a.m.
Heaven and Hell: Angels With Harps, Demons With Pitchforks Or Maybe Something Else?

COMMUNITY GARDEN MEETING: Sundays at 11:30 in the nave.

Your servant in Christ,

Fr. Chester J. Makowski+
St. Augustine of Hippo Episcopal Church
Galveston, Texas 77550

No comments:

Post a Comment