Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Almighty Hears the Cries of His Loved Ones

One of the appointed Psalms for today is Psalm 5, and we hear the Psalmist’s cry to God for help:

Give ear to my words, O Lord;
give heed to my sighing.
Listen to the sound of my cry,
my King and my God, for to you I pray.
O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice;
in the morning I plead my case to you, and watch.
For you are not a God who delights in wickedness;
evil will not sojourn with you.
The boastful will not stand before your eyes;
you hate all evildoers.
You destroy those who speak lies;
the Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful.
But I, through the abundance of your steadfast love,
will enter your house,
I will bow down towards your holy temple
in awe of you.
Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness
because of my enemies;
make your way straight before me.
For there is no truth in their mouths;
their hearts are destruction;
their throats are open graves;
they flatter with their tongues.
Make them bear their guilt, O God;
let them fall by their own counsels;
because of their many transgressions cast them out,
for they have rebelled against you.
But let all who take refuge in you rejoice;
let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over them,
so that those who love your name may exult in you.
For you bless the righteous, O Lord;
you cover them with favor as with a shield
.

In these hot days of summer, when trouble arises, remember that the Lord is near. The Almighty is there to hear the cries of His loved ones. God who is gracious is there to give aid; He covers His people with love.

Let us pray: O Lord, mercifully receive the prayers of your people who call upon you, and grant that they may know and understand what things they ought to do, and also may have grace and power faithfully to accomplish them; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

CALENDAR REMINDERS

8 July 2011 at St. Augustine’s Sutton Hall from noon to 3 p.m. S.A.S.S. will host “A 2011 Update: The Latest Info about HIV/AIDS” with Paul Simmons, RN, ACRN, the Executive Director of Center for AIDS Houston. Lunch will be provided free of cost, and the seminar is free of cost as well. Reserve your spot today at galvestonsass@gmail.com.

Please remember everyone on our prayer list, especially Evelyn McNeill who is continuing to recover from surgery.

Your servant in Christ,

Fr. Chester J. Makowski+
St. Augustine of Hippo Episcopal Church
Galveston, Texas 77550

No comments:

Post a Comment