Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I will sing to the Lord!

One of the appointed Psalms for today is Psalm 13; the Psalmist prays:

How long, O Lord? Will you forget me for ever?
   How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I bear pain in my soul,
   and have sorrow in my heart all day long?
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?

Consider and answer me, O Lord my God!
   Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death,
and my enemy will say, ‘I have prevailed’;
   my foes will rejoice because I am shaken.
But I trusted in your steadfast love;
   my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
I will sing to the Lord,
   because he has dealt bountifully with me.

We trust in God’s steadfast love, even in the midst of pain, because of God’s immeasurable love for us as expressed in the Incarnation, God dwelling with us as one of us in the person of Jesus Christ.  Even as we suffer and death comes to us, we lived with the blessed assurance that God, in the person of Christ, knows our suffering because he has experienced.  Moreover, Christ rose from the dead, the first fruits of the new creation.

Today, I ask your prayers for Charlie Fric and his family, his wife Cindy and daughter Victoria, his 2 sisters and brother.  Charlie was at UTMB awaiting a double organ replacement, but he had a turn for the worse.  This morning we committed his soul to Almighty God with the Ministration at the Time of Death.  Let us pray for Charlie and his family: Into your hands, O merciful Savior, we commend your servant Charlie. Acknowledge, we humbly beseech you, a sheep of your own fold, a lamb of your own flock, a sinner of your own redeeming. Receive him into the arms of your mercy, into the blessed rest of everlasting peace, and into the glorious company of the saints in light. Amen.

CALENDAR REMINDERS

Family Fun Night, this Friday at 6 p.m. Bring a game and snacks to share.

The new Adult Scripture Study starting in September for 6 weeks, the Kerygma study on The Lord's Prayer during the 11 a.m. hour.

The 4th Annual Art Show at St. Augustine’s.  This year’s theme is “Peace.”

THE PRAYER LIST: Please remember everyone on our Prayer List, especially for the young woman who was injured by falling debris from a balcony during Art Walk Saturday night, Shannon Elliott, who is a friend of Tammie Taylor’s.  We continue to pray for Steve, Sherman, Gladys, and the family of Ella Boyer.

Your servant in Christ,

Fr. Chester J. Makowski+
St. Augustine of Hippo Episcopal Church
Galveston, Texas 77550

No comments:

Post a Comment